Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Almond Chocolate Cookies

So, as part of combating my son's anemia, we have eliminated dairy from our diet. After reading some if the ingredients on the Almond Milk in the store, I decided to go ahead and make my own (not too hard and not too bad).

As a result, I had a lot of almond meal sitting in my fridge.

I was craving cookies after a long week of interviews and decided to try making some with the almond meal I had before it went bad (yes it can, smells nasty! ). After searching pinterest, I had a few ideas and set about making baby friendly cookies.

The recipe:

2 cups almond meal
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 need coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp ground flax seed

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix ground flax seed and and water in small bowl and set aside.

Combine almond meal, flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl.

Add remaining ingredients, asking with flax seed and water mixture and completely combine (make sure to really combine otherwise see cookies will be less chocolaty). You may stir the mixture, but I found using my hands worked better.

Make small balls (1-2 tbsp each) and place on baking sheet a few inches apart. Slightly flatten each one with hand or use a fork to create an indented design.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Cool cookies on a wire rack.

Makes 24 to 36 cookies depending on size.

I served mine with strawberries and blueberries or peanut butter. The best part to me is that this cookie dough is edible raw :) (you could even add chocolate chips or homemade Nutella!)

A great treat, high in iron and bioavailable. Yum

In love and light

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I also have anemia and have found two things that have helped to relieve the symptoms: a gluten-free diet and the herb yellow dock. I take yellow dock capsules regularly for a month, then I take a two week break (yellow dock is a blood cleanser and your body can become dependent on it if you use it regularly).

    Many people that suffer from anemia actually have a gluten sensitivity (that doesn't show up on an allergy test) that causes them to have issues absorbing iron. Might be worth a try with your little one.

    Best of luck!

    http://thecrunchypaganmomblog.blogspot.com/

    http://thefrugalhippiehousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and for this info! As it turns out, Little One is in fact gluten intolerant. Now after two months of being mostly gluten free, he is doing much better. I have been so excited to see his color return and fewer tummy issues!

    In Love and Light

    ReplyDelete